Monday, April 14, 2008

start to finish





I had the pleasure of attending David Engdahl's opening this Friday, and his works really lived up to the advance promotion I gave them in my head. That being said, one of my favorite things about the show was his decision to include some of his preparatory sketches.

The images are both instructive and beautiful in and of themselves. Also Engdahl, who shows nationally and internationally shared a bit if advice with me: He said that he spends 30% of his time creating the work, and 70% of his time promoting them. A lesson perhaps in the power and importance of not resting on one's laurels?

1 comment:

kelly said...

The sketches are as elegant as the sculptures. I feel like they belong in a Nova special on a ground-breaking theoretical science. Or at least in a big of microscopic structures. Thank you for sharing.