Monday, March 9, 2009

In Praise of Wise Film Directors



Recently, I found myself sucked into an epic marathon of movie-watching: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. This was not the first time I’d seen the movies, but it was the first time I’d seen them since watching them in the theatre. And I thought they were just as good (though I found myself shamefully wishing for a larger screen up which to view it…and better acoustics).

However, I have never read the books. Laced as they are with hobbit/dwarf/elf-song I tend to find them tedious and a bit exhausting. But after seeing the movies again, I thought: “This time I will do it! I will read the trilogy, back-to-back, then I too will know the entire backstory.

As of today, the band of hobbits is leaving Barrow Downs, and I have once again put down my copy of the book. It is still too long and tedious.

Perhaps when I am older.

2 comments:

steph said...

try them -- they are good. well, the ones i've read.

madeleine said...

strange Stef, you don't look like you keep elf-ears at the ready for the the Renaissance Fair...