Friday, September 19, 2008

Things Learned


So, the Marking Marks opening is over, I think it went well, and people seemed pleased. That being said (and I promise this is the last I’ll post about this particular project--I am beinging to bore even myself), I learned a few things...listed in no particular order:

1. Wearing knock-off designer shoes is never a good idea, no matter how “architectural” they may or may not be. Blisters on the tops of toes is too high a price to pay.

2. Social anxiety makes it nigh impossible to put together cohesive sentences with people one has known for years and years. It does however, dictate a stint at the table inside Nola where the catering staff is happy to stop by each and every time with tasty num nums.

3. People never cease to surprise, from those who are gracious, funny and witty, to those who make an (ahem) abbreviated appearance. Good show kids.

4. Creepy sculptures add a certain je ne sais quoi to events...plus the fact that they (the sculptures) had to get they hairs did, is a subtle little detail, with plenty of ewww factor, worth pondering.

5. Curators are funny (and not just because I was headed towards the end of my second very-stiff-drink).

6. Ultimately I prefer process to finality. I will miss the rigour of thinking about art in a specific context, and I will miss seeing the show develop. I will not miss openings, or high heels.

NEXT up: we're going to take a look at the show over at Flux, and hopefully post a little 'bout the big rally.

*note: pictured shoes weren't actually worn.

No comments: